Friday, 22 February 2013

Russian Banana Porridge (Гречневая каша с бананом)

Прокручиваете пожалуйста вниз за рецепт по-русски!

You might remember that in my post about Valentine's Day I mentioned making Russian porridge for my flatmate as breakfast in bed. Russians are big fans of porridge, which they call kasha. They have porridge made out of oats just like we do, but they also sometimes make it out of toasted buckwheat, or grechka (you can get this in any Eastern European supermarkets - give it a Google; there will probably be one near you!). It has a really nutty kind of taste, and I've become a little obsessed.

For one portion, you need:

Toasted buckwheat groats - about half a cup, or 40g
A cup of milk. The recipe says soya milk, but I used oat milk. The main thing is to use about double the amount of milk as you use buckwheat.
A pinch of cinnamon
One banana, mashed
Two tablespoons of almonds, chopped
A spoon or two of agave nectar (optional - this isn't in the original recipe)

Bring the buckwheat in the milk to the boil, then add the cinnamon and agave, then turn the heat down and simmer until all the milk is absorbed - it should take about fifteen minutes.

Whilst your kasha is simmering, mash up a banana with a fork in a bowl, and add the almonds.

When the milk has been absorbed, take the pan off the heat and add the buckwheat to the bowl. Mix it all together and there you go!




I hope you try this; it's delicious, healthy, and filling - exactly what you need from a breakfast, right?

Love,

Emy
xxx

Original Russian recipe:


Ингредиенты:

• 1/2 чашки гречневой крупы
• 1 чашка соевого молока
• щепотка корицы
• 1 спелый банан, пюрированный
• 2 столовые ложки миндаля, порубленного

Инструкции:

1. В маленькой кастрюле смешать гречневую крупу, соевое молоко и корицу. Накрыть крышкой и довести до кипения, затем варить на медленном огне, пока греча не впитает всю жидкость и станет мягкой, около 10 минут.
2. В миске смешать бананы и приготовленную гречу. Посыпать миндалем и подавать.

5 comments:

  1. The Russian alphabet is lovely, I actually started to learn to speak and write when a teenager, but there weren't any classes nearby and I rather gave up on the grammar side. I'm tempted to try again, any suggestions for decent learning software that you know of?

    Oh yeah, and I love the sound of this breakfast. I can really see the bananas going with the earthy buckwheat porridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    You absolutely should pick Russian back up again, but you also need to become a grammar-lover - Russian grammar is very different from ours, so you can't really get around having to sit down and learn it at some point.

    I would personally go for a book you can work through - this is the one we used in our first year at uni:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colloquial-Russian-Complete-Course-Beginners/dp/0415469953/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363541772&sr=8-1

    Then you can Google any terms you find confusing! If you don't want to buy a book, I had a quick look and this site looks pretty good:

    http://www.practicerussian.com/

    And you should definitely try the kasha! It's so filling, and you're right - just the right balance between sweet and earthy!

    Hope that helps!

    Love,

    Emy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, the buckwheat and banana porridge was a success! Though I don't think I cooked my buckwheat quite long enough (I should have put a lid on the saucepan). I'm going to add carob flour next time. It'd make a great meal for little ones.

      Delete
  3. Thankyou, I'll look the book up! Yes, I recall the grammar seeming complicated at the time, maybe now that I'm older I'll have more patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! I'm really glad it came out well - this is one of my favourite breakfasts, so I'm glad to be able to share it! Let me know how your Russian comes!

      Love,

      Emy
      xxx

      Delete